Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mommy's Cold Arm

My Dearest Olivia,

When you were a tiny baby, and mommy was nursing you, for some reason you always wanted to rub just under my chin.  It drove me crazy so I would tuck your arm behind mine so you couldn't reach it!  Well then you started rubbing the back of my arm.  Long after you stopped nursing, I would sit beside your bed and you would rub my "cold arm" while you drifted to sleep.  When mommy had Hannah in her tummy I knew we had to get a new plan.  It was like giving up a passy or a blankie to other kids.  Even after you were going to sleep on your own there would be times you would be sitting next to me in church, at dinner or on the couch watching TV and you got a little tired you would slowly reach around to find my cold arm.  The funniest part was to watch you find other peoples cold arm and reach your tiny hand up the arm of their shirt.  They would get a funny look on their face!  It still makes me giggle thinking about it!  Now I find you crossing your arms at night in bed and rubbing the backs of your own arms or even your legs.  Its very cute.

Last night you managed to convince both me and daddy to lay with you while you were doing your nightly reading.  Halfway through your chapter of "There's a Carrot in my Ear" I could feel you rubbing your arm against mine......then you started rubbing it with your hand.  First your words started to stumble and then finally you blurted out "man your arm feels really good, I mean reeeallly good." As daddy and I both started laughing you said "no really the temperature is good" and moved your head down to lay your cheek against it.  We couldn't stop laughing.  I don't think you really understood because you said "what did you think I was reading that from the book?"  You were mesmerized and it was amazing to see how it turned you right into that 3yr old little girl soothed by her mommy's "cold arm."

I absolutely love those moments when pieces of the sweet little baby in you shine through the young lady you have become. For a split second it takes me back in time when I would rock you to sleep every night.  Then you use words like temperature and I am quickly reminded that you are a very mature 6 year old girl.  I love you sweet girl.  I love the tenderhearted, passionate and loving person that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment